Alumni: Glory Josephine Immanuela

Photo of Glory Josephine Immanuela. Photo Provided by Glory Josephine Immanuela.

Hi, let me introduce myself. My name is Glory Josephine Immanuela, but I’m commonly called Goi. I’m an alumna of DKV UPH, specializing in Graphic Design, from the class of 2016. Up to this day, I’m working on a business that my friend and I founded back in 2018 during our time at university, which is a custom artwear venture called Rupa Cerita (located in Bogor).

My current opportunities and abilities are closely tied to the 3.5 years of education I received at DKV UPH. I’ve always considered my time in college as an incredible blessing from God because the knowledge, activities, opportunities, and campus facilities equipped me from various aspects. This included a highly comprehensive design discipline, knowledgeable professors, a library with quality reference books, insights into job opportunities for designers in the current design industry (both nationally and internationally), the opening of connections and job prospects, well-equipped design labs and computers, and simulations of the role of design within the broader community.

While nearly all the courses I took were memorable, and I still recall the ups and downs, there’s one moment in the Experimental Typography course that I’ll never forget. During my studies, I went through an identity crisis, finding it challenging to follow and adapt to the main task of graphic designers, which is to systematically, structurally, and measurably address communication problems with visuals. Perhaps my visual style was more dynamic, and not all creative briefs suited my approach. This created the impression that I might never meet the industry’s needs, and I felt that the industry would forever be boring and stressful. However, in the Experimental Typography class, the emphasis was on the level of exploration of typography, layout, and animation. And at one point, when the Head of the Department, Mr. Alfiansyah Zulkarnain, visited the class, he uttered a simple sentence, “Wow, this font is so Goi.” That’s when I felt understood and accepted. Finally, my self-confidence began to grow, allowing me to explore my own design character.

I’m grateful for the knowledge of Graphic Design that I gained at DKV UPH. It not only influenced my visual work but also my everyday life and work. Project and time management skills were greatly honed when working in teams, preparing me to deal with various individuals in the industry.

I will always recommend DKV UPH to young creatives who want to study design because at DKV UPH, you can learn from highly experienced professors who are still active in the design industry. The supportive facilities and environment are among the key factors in the development of students.

“For me, success isn’t about meeting the standards the world sets, but about developing one’s talents and fulfilling one’s own God-given calling to the best of one’s ability. That alone is sufficient.”