Alumni: Juventia Kalonica

Juventia Kalonica

My full name is Juventia Kalonica, but most people call me Juju. Recently, I’ve added a new name for myself—Jun. So whether it’s Juju or Jun, feel free to call me either! I started as an Animation student back in 2017, but as time passed, I found myself gravitating towards illustration.

Deciding to pursue illustration wasn’t without its doubts. I often questioned my choice, wondering if I regretted not sticking with animation after investing time and money into it. But truth be told, I don’t regret my time in animation at all. I’m grateful for the experiences and lessons it brought me. However, as life unfolded, especially after dealing with the challenges of COVID, I realized that my true passion lies in illustration. Nevertheless, my love for animation remains, and if given the chance, I’d dive back into learning it again!

Besides honing my skills, what truly enriched my journey were the friendships I made along the way. Back when my skills were far from where they are now, my friends provided endless support and guidance.

The early years were tough. I was clueless about design, and the assignments seemed impossibly difficult. There were tears, sleepless nights, and moments of self-doubt, especially when I saw my grades. But God and my friends were my rock. Their unwavering support reignited my passion for art. The animation classes were a blast too, thanks to our kind and patient lecturer, Pak Naldo, who made the learning process enjoyable.

One class that stands out the most is concept art. Creating characters based on random themes challenged me in ways I never imagined. Laughing at my own lackluster drawings, I realized how much I had to learn. But Pak Naldo and my friends never judged me; instead, they helped me improve. It was a truly enjoyable experience, one I’d gladly relive if given the chance.

The skills I acquired have proven invaluable in my current role as an illustrator at Giftinside. Every illustration demands meticulous attention to detail, a skill I learned through countless hours of practice. Understanding proportions and human anatomy has also been crucial.

I wholeheartedly recommend UPH to anyone interested in animation. Their diverse range of classes and openness to different styles—whether it’s Western cartoons or anime—make it an ideal learning environment.

Wishing everyone the best of luck!

One Reply to “Alumni: Juventia Kalonica”