Alumni: Agatha Samuella Kristijanto

Agatha Samuella Kristijanto

Hello readers! I am graduating from Universitas Pelita Harapan (UPH), class of 2019, with a major in visual communication design and a specialization in animation. My name is Agatha Samuella Kristijanto, and it is lovely to meet you!

My journey at UPHwas a special one. It was not only about learning about art and design but also about learning more about myself. Many unexpected things happened. Sometimes challenging, sometimes exhausting, tearful, but there was also a lot of joy and things to be grateful for.

I experienced campus life for only one and a half years because of COVID restrictions, and we had to change the learning method to online classes. I was flying back to my hometown at that time.

I would say my first year at the university was tough. I had to adjust in many areas: campus life, friendships, and my private life. There were many new things I had to learn quickly. But I am very thankful because of the help of the lecturers and seniors; I managed to survive well. The design world has countless genres, techniques, types, and styles. I learned that each of us has time to find our style. Some already have, some haven’t, which includes me, and there’s nothing wrong with that. I can learn many new things, and I enjoyed most of the lessons, such as learning motion graphics, creating characters, painting, and many more. But if I may choose, my favorite lesson is 3D modeling.

3D modeling is a new thing I learned. I never imagined I could know 3D, and I didn’t expect I’d like it. The lecturer taught us about applications like Maya, ZBrush, and Substance Painter. In Maya, we learned how to create good topology, neat models, etc. In ZBrush, we could sculpt our models from Maya to add more detail or create a model from scratch. After the model is finished, Substance Painter helps us provide texture and color to produce a complete model.

We also learned how the animation industry works, from pre-production to post-production. It was a fun class. The lecturer was passionate about his job as a modeler, dedicated, and full of effort, so I could ask many questions and learn a lot. I am highly impressed with this class. Overall, I was satisfied with everything I experienced at this university. I’ll take it as an experience to grow even more through every thick and thin I’ve been through. And as a path that leads me to the next journey.

I will surely recommend DKV UPH to my friends, relatives, and everyone I know so they can learn in a fun and good environment as I did.

Check out Agatha’s Final Project here.