Junissa Bianda

My name is Junissa Bianda H, and I am an illustrator specializing in children’s books and goods. I attended UPH from 2009 to 2013, majoring in DKV. My time at UPH was truly eye-opening, unlocking numerous skills and wisdom during my classes.

Among the subjects, I particularly enjoyed the Digital Art class, where I learned the basic principles of Photoshop. This marked a breakthrough in my artistic journey as it was my first introduction to Photoshop. Previously, I had primarily used traditional mediums for my art, but now I consistently incorporate Photoshop into my projects. In the Illustration class, I explored the vast styles of illustration and learned to stylize humans and objects. I also appreciated experimenting with mixing traditional media, producing different and unique textures for my work.

Inspired by the classes at UPH, I decided to delve deeper into illustration by pursuing a master’s degree at the Academy of Art University in San Francisco.

Currently, I am represented by a literary agency based in NYC, UK, and Singapore. Throughout my career, my clients have mainly been publishers, including Penguin Random House, Nosycrow, Usborne, Hallmark, Sourcebooks, Scholastic, Hachette, Cottage Door Press, Unilever, Albert Whitman & Co, among others.

One of my notable illustrated books, titled “Nabil Steals a Penguin,” was voted “Picture Book of the Month” by The Guardian and The Bookseller. It was also mentioned in the Observer as the picture book to look out for.

I had the privilege of creating branding for IHC Pertamedika’s children’s hospital in Makassar, designing two new mascots, and creating a mural for its 20m corridor and rooms.

In 2021, I debuted my own illustrated and written book series, “Kareem and Khaleel,” published by Lentera Hati. The series, consisting of five books, has sold over 20,000 copies worldwide. The IP is expanding into other media, including small merchandise and goods. The series was nominated as the bestseller in the children’s book category in BBW and Gramedia.

All these projects were made easier by the foundation laid during my time at UPH, and I highly recommend it to art students.

Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up.

Pablo Picasso