Alumni: Tiffany Wong

Photo of Tiffany Wong. Photo Provided by Tiffany Wong

My name is Tiffany Wong. I’m an alumna of DKV UPH, with a concentration in DG, from the batch of 2017-2021. Currently, I am working as a freelance graphic and book designer while also pursuing my passion for print through “sore sore,” an indie publishing platform. My practice explores how personal experiences and emotions are represented by tangible objects alongside written language.

I entered DKV UPH with little to no knowledge of the graphic design world. As far as I knew, I only wanted to have the ability to communicate with visuals, as their brochure advertised that academic year. With only a basic skill in drawing typography, I was amazed when I learned that this skill was just the tip of the iceberg in the graphic design world. Nevertheless, I was thoroughly guided through it, with classes and programs that taught me more than enough to thrive in the industry.

Looking back at my days in DKV UPH, I can’t choose a favorite class as I see them all as a holistic experience that I cherish. However, two that were particularly momentous for me are Main Studio 1 and Experimental Typography. Main Studio 1 was when I first discovered my passion for book design, which I now pursue wholeheartedly. Experimental Typography, on the other hand, was when I delved deeply into the essence of graphic design. It was probably when I achieved the ability to communicate with visuals, fulfilling my freshman dream.

I must say that not only did I gain knowledge and new skills, but my time studying in DKV UPH was also a journey of self-discovery. As I learned the many elements of the graphic design world in my classes, I was also guided to nurture my passion. The lecturers and the learning environment at DKV UPH were nothing but supportive. I hope that many more students can experience this once-in-a-lifetime journey, as I did.

Tiffany Wong currently lives and works in Jakarta as a graphic designer, art director, and visual artist. She previously worked as a graphic designer for Artnivora and Jakarta Film Week, as well as the visual communication designer for Orasis Art Space. Her work has been featured on Behance in the InDesign and Editorial section and in Madrid Grafica 2021.

Tiffany specializes in editorial and book design, where she explores language and words in relation to the book as an object. Her deep admiration for individual experiences and the natural world has led her to create works deeply rooted in romanticism, described by some as ‘poetic,’ ‘raw,’ and ‘whimsical.’

“At the end of the day, it isn’t where I came from. Maybe home is somewhere I’m going and never have been before.”  ― Warsan Shire