Alumni: Vanessa Leoni

Photo of Vanessa Leoni. Photo Provided by Vanessa.

Hello, let me introduce myself. I’m Vanessa Leoni, an alumna of the 2019 class of DKV UPH, specializing in Graphic Design. Currently, I work as a Packaging Designer at a company in the FMCG industry.

During my time at UPH, I felt my design skills develop significantly, thanks to the guidance of the DKV UPH professors who always supported me during the learning process. When I initially joined DKV, I faced some challenges in adapting to the assigned tasks, but over time, I became more accustomed to it and learned to manage my time effectively. As the semesters progressed, I realized that the course material started with fundamental concepts and gradually became more complex, resembling real-world projects in the industry.

One of the courses that had a significant impact on me was the main studio 3. During a full semester, DKV students collaborated with students from the food technology program to create innovative product packaging. The design process started with product analysis, selecting the appropriate packaging materials, designing brand identities, creating packaging designs, and developing social media and e-commerce product sales designs. Throughout this course, I learned numerous new aspects, such as how to create packaging designs that not only prioritize aesthetics but are also producible and represent the concept of the product being sold.

My education definitely helped me in the industry. Because the steps taken to complete assignments provide a real-world glimpse of what you’ll do in the industry. With each passing semester, projects were not only individually resolved but also involved external parties to provide design objectives, test the effectiveness of the design, and evaluate it.

Studying at DKV UPH is not limited to classroom learning. There are many design-related activities outside of class that can be participated in. For example, joining the “BEDA’KAN” (Redesigning Packaging) initiative where students redesign packaging for selected MSMEs. This not only adds to your experience but also teaches students how to communicate directly with MSMEs, known as clients in the professional world. Furthermore, DKV UPH maintains high standards, allowing students to produce high-quality work.

There’s no such thing as limitations in design; that’s why you should unleash all your ideas and continue creating work that can be seen by many people!