Alumni: Rinaldo Hartanto

Photo of Rinaldo Hartanto. Photo provided by Rinaldo Hartanto.

Hello, I’m Rinaldo Hartanto. I’m an alumnus from the class of 2011. At the time I was studying, there were no specializations, but I was always interested in illustration. Currently, I work as a studio manager and printmaker at Black Hand Gang Printmaking Studio in Ubud, Bali. Additionally, I work as a freelance illustrator and artist.

I started my studies at DKV UPH in 2007. During my time at university, I was quite active in the Department Student Association, especially in events like Artbound and student art exhibitions. My favorite place to hang out was, without a doubt, the library. With its extensive visual archives, comprehensive design and art books, and comfortable spaces, I enjoyed spending hours working on assignments and reading in the library. The painting studio was also one of my favorite places, especially in the later semesters.

As someone involved in the world of visual arts and illustration, I was impressed by various courses that covered history, culture, and illustration, including:

• History & Appreciation of Design by the late Mr. Yongky Safanayong
  • Oriental Art & Design History by the late Mr. Yongky Safanayong
  • Cross-Culture Design by Ms. Lala Palupi Santyaputri
  • Illustration by Mr. Donny Ibrahim
  • Painting by Mr. Donny Ibrahim

Even though I’m not currently working directly in the field of graphic design, DKV UPH equipped me with various practical skills and conceptual abilities related to systematic thinking, the graphic design paradigm as a visual problem-solving solution, creative concept development, and various pre-production processes in both print and digital graphic design.

I absolutely recommend others to learn at DKV UPH. Especially because of the passionate and caring teaching staff at DKV UPH. Currently, DKV UPH is equipped with excellent facilities such as printing and graphic studios. I’m somewhat envious of current students because they have access to these new facilities. So, for all you UPH students, make the most of these facilities while you can! The support system for students interested in film is also strong. I’ve noticed that many UPH students and alumni are showcasing their work at various film festivals.